I’ve made Vegan whipped topping before… I’ve followed a few recipes that have been okay, but not great. Some of them are too thin, most use a lot of oil which I try to stay away from, and some just taste “off”.
This one is amazing! It’s smooth, creamy, coconuty (<3 coconut). Anyway the one I made a few days ago was essentially the same as this one except without a touch of vanilla, and it was thinner — much more like a sort of syrup than a whipped cream substitute (which was why I used it on my pancakes). To make a long story somewhat shorter, Chocolate Covered Katie‘s Cool Whip is sinfully delightful.
When I made it a few days ago, I used the same brand of coconut milk as I did today (or last night, rather)– Thai Kitchen Organic. Her recipe says to make sure there isn’t water in the ingredients of the coconut milk and unfortunately I still have yet to find one that doesn’t have water. When you get them though, they’re pretty separated and it’s easy enough to remove a lot of the water; that was my mistake when I made it the first time– I mixed the water back in. I took it out this time before I chilled it in the fridge last night and that did the trick It’s nice and thick and it actually kind of reminds me of yogurt. But that might be because I mixed it with oats and berries and the first thing that came to mind was the fruit & yogurt parfaits that I used to love For berries I used fresh blueberries and frozen raspberries but it would be great with anything.
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Berries (fresh, frozen, whatever)
- ⅓ cup Gluten-Free Oats
- 4 tbsp Shredded Coconut
- Open your can of coconut milk and leave uncovered in the fridge overnight. If you’re using one with water like me, make sure you don’t mix the water back in. It’s not difficult to remove it but if you mix it in you’re going to have to wait who knows how long for it to separate again.
- Let it chill overnight. Longer is better.
- Whip in your sweetener and vanilla with a fork, whisk, or whatever floats your boat.
- Store uncovered in the fridge again for several hours. It’ll thicken some more
- Mix in berries, oats, and shredded coconut.
You’ll love it. I promise!!